A Tally of April First Pranks
It's April 1, and that means the internet is awash in attempted jokes spoofing standard business. It's a Friday, so there's not much real news (in gaming – we're not talking about all those wars and economic catastrophes that currently straddle the globe) to confuse with the jokes. We'll continue to add to this item throughout the day, cataloging some of the better (or the least bad) jokes posted to celebrate April First. Read on for the full list...
- Blizzard has top-notch jokes every year, best perhaps because of just how invested fans get in their detailed pranks. This year, Blizzard has introduced Crabby: The Dungeon Helper, a screen assistant for World of Warcraft vaguely like Clippy, the Microsoft Office assistant. Blizzard also announced a new World of Warcraft dungeon called the Tomb of Immortal Darkness, complete with "Deep Dark" technology. The screenshots and loot will please classic PC game fans. Not restricting itself to World of Warcraft gags, Blizzard introduced the Horadric Cube app page for Diablo III fans who want to play Angry Imps on their ancient artifact and then transmute that App into something entirely different. Of course, Blizzard isn't going to leave StarCraft fans out in the cold – poking fun at the cancellation of StarCraft: Ghost, Blizzard introduces a new StarCraft-themed console experience, this time for the Kinect on the Xbox 360.
- Peripheral manufacturer Nyko went ahead and announced a pair of 3D glasses for the 3DS. (Get it! nudge! 3D glasses for a handheld console that doesn't require 3D glasses! Hah!)
- Rock, Paper, Shotgun has an excellent series of posts including a debate concerning the Mary Celeste horror game, "What One Thinks: The Mansion of Happiness and a note concerning the Hoop & Stick II demo.
- Peripheral manufacturer Astro Gaming has announced a line of 22K solid gold gaming controllers.
- ArenaNet and NCsoft have introduced the Commando class for Guild Wars 2. The class enjoys skills such as "Grenades," "Vehicles" and "Force Multipliers."
- Paradox Interactive has introduced their new strategic role-playing game King Arthur II: Vietnam. Somehow this would be funnier if Paradox wasn't so serious about Magika: Vietnam.
- President Qwark is taking action against Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One.
- PopCap Games announced that it will bring a Microwave Game Console to Great Britain, allowing UK and Irish gamers to play PopCap games on a "19 litre, 1,000-watt" cooking device called the "PlayWave" that comes pre-loaded with Bejeweled.
- BioWare (part of Electronic Arts) announced that the company plans to release a version of its upcoming massively multiplayer online game Star Wars: The Old Republic localized for Wookies. Go to the official Star Wars: The Old Republic site to listen to some of the cut-scenes translated into Shyriiwook.
- Peripheral manufacturer Razer is offering the Talon, a controller that promises to read your nervous system's impulses and kill unauthorized users. The concept art is kinda entertaining, though.
- Ninjabee actually patched in a Rickroll for people playing A World of Keflings on Xbox Live Arcade.
- Bungie has disclosed its plans to bring the Pimps at Sea franchise to Facebook with PimpsVille for Facebook